Going Green in the Laundry Room - a Dryer ball review

A few months ago, I became a Purex insider and had the chance to try the Purex® 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets.

We hadn't used any fabric softeners in the last 5+ years, my husband was thrilled with the new softness (and scent) of our clothing.

But we eventually ran out of the Purex samples. I really didn't want to add any extra chemicals to our home, so I decided to pick up a few Dryer Balls and see if they could add the softness we wanted.

The pros:
-No chemicals
-They did a great job on my pillows and our clothes were softer than using nothing
-No added scent
-So easy; I just leave them in the dryer

The cons:
-No added scent
-The first time I used them, they did smell hot and "plasticky" (they said non-toxic, but the package did not say what type of plastic)
-They didn't work as good as a chemical fabric softener, but were better than nothing, and rocked for pillows

The bottom line: I think they did a great job (considering what they are), but I wish I could be sure the plastic used to make the balls was safe to be heated. I'd love to try a truly non-toxic, green dryer ball.

*This review was not compensated in anyway. I bought my own dryer balls and tested them out on my own. The opinions expressed are my own and based on my own experiences.


4 comments:

pish said...

Check out these dryer balls, made from wool felt!

I won some from Happy Green Babies (http://www.happygreenbabies.com/giveaways/energy-conserving-wool-dryer-balls-giveaway/) and they are great - might be just the solution you're looking for.

Here's where mine came from (and Terry was a total sweetheart to deal with, too!!) --> http://www.etsy.com/shop/Krazy8Cat

Lydia said...

This made me think of Soap Nuts. I've never tried them partly because of the cost although I keep thinking about it. However, I thought they'd be down your alley. :)

http://www.laundrytree.com/#axzz0ZI9FdLgA

Shelby said...

I just noticed in my ALL YOU magazine an article for Re-usable dryer sheets. You can use each up to 500 times and they don't contain chemicals. They are from a company called Chartreuse (chartreuseproducts.com). Not sure if they'll get clothes as soft as the dryer balls but it does say that they remove wrinkles and static.

Angela said...

Thanks for the awesome hints and tips! I'm going to look into each of these.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...