Feeding Cats a Raw food Diet

Well, it's happening! We are working out details to become cat owners. Hypoallergenic, siberian cat owners. Yay! I've been researching healthy litter and food options. I've discussed the litter options with my husband and so far we are in agreement with each other - bonus!

We finally solved the declawing dilemma. I'm proud to say he has joined my "save the claws" team, and there's just one more hurdle to discuss. He's agreed on paying for our expensive little kitty, so that's not it. It's food. I'm currently reading The Omnivore's Dilemma(more on that soon) and I can not feed an animal something it wasn't designed to eat. In other words, I do NOT want to feed a carnivore an omnivore or herbivore's diet.

I'd like to make my own, raw cat food. Yes, that would be meat and bones. I'd like to think my Vitamix is up for the job. The discussion hasn't started yet, but it's going to be a heated debate. If I can't make my own, I'd at least want to buy a high quality all meat/bone canned food. If you are thinking of going the natural way for your cats, check out catinfo.org. There's so much great info on this site. Wish me luck!

I expect a lot of changes over the next few weeks and months. It's time to put our money where our mouths are....and things need to change.

7 comments:

Younger Sister said...

Is that a picture of the hypoallergenic kitty?

Angela said...

No, but it looks similar to this one. Once they grow up, they are the 2nd largest cat. They're huge!

pish said...

Keep us posted! I'm curious about this. Our old cat was truly at her healthiest when we moved out to the farm and she started eating mostly mice and small birds - not for everyone, I know, but it IS what they are supposed to eat!
I've heard of pet shops that sell frozen raw food, but our locals don't carry it.

Angela said...

Frozen raw food would be great. You are right, cats ARE supposed to eat MEAT and that's my goal. :)

If only I could catch and process mice. Just kidding. I'd be little too grossed out to do it.

WCatDD said...

YAAAY!!! So cute! If you toilet train your new cat, you can argue that the money you're saving on litter is paying for the high quality meat-eater cat food.

As a side note, don't forget that both cats and dogs occasionally eat grass to help with digestion "issues."

Angela said...

LOL - if only I could toilet train the cat. Wahoo! I'm sure my houseplants won't know what hit 'em. But yep, I knew kitties like some grass. I'm still working on how exactly to feed them and how to get my husband to agree

Brooke said...

I used to make my own dog food. Once you get into a grove it's so easy making pet food. My little runt puppy that the vet couldn't get to gain weight, ended up being larger than both his parents and all others in the litter.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...