Make Grilled Cheese Sandwiches without butter (paninis too!)

News Flash! You do not need butter (or any buttery spread) to make grilled cheese sandwiches, or paninis, or any other grilled sandwich. All you need are bread, non-stick cooking spray (I like the olive oil kind) and some cheese (and/or other ingredients).

In the example to the right, I used our george foreman grill. Best $8 I ever spent (garage sale...brand new.) But it works just as well on a pan or griddle. Just spray the pan, put down your bread, layer on your sandwich insides of choice, top it with another piece of bread, spray the top lightly and cook.

I can only imagine the amount of saturated fat and extra calories (for anyone keeping track of calories) this saves. And they taste great. I personally, do not miss the greasiness.

7 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

We've done this-- you can cut down on butter for lots of things this way with the spray!

~Shelley~ said...

I've given you an award on my blog! Come see :)

http://shelleysswag.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-award.html

EcoMeg said...

Love your website - I put your button on my link love page (see the link bar below my banner)!

http://www.ecomeg.com

Tanya said...

We stumbled on this trick recently. It was out of necessity though, not because we were watching fat or calories though, it was simple because we ran out of butter! Bad mommy moment. I love your blog BTW.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

My kids LOVE grilled cheese (and so do I.) I'll give this a try tomorrow.

On another healthy note, I broke out my 30 day shred DVD and did the workout today. I'm going to try to do it every day until Christmas and see what kind of results I get!

Makenzie Kelly said...

Hi Angela, that's such a great idea. I asked for a George Foreman grill from Xmas. I know the kids will love it. ....Next stop... making your own bread? My sister does it, but I've only experimented with sourdough. Let me know if you have any ideas on that!

Angela said...

I finally had success making my own bread a few weeks ago. I used this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple-Whole-Wheat-Bread/Detail.aspx?src=etaf

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...