Grocery Shopping - Saved over $170!

This week I went shopping twice, in preparation for the Save Up Event at the end of the week. I had to have enough food for the babysitters.

At my first trip, I spent $52.18. The price before coupons was $154.39. A savings of $102.21. Some notable purchases....10 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (99c a pound - woo! - it's lost behind the oj in this pic), a large bottle of Sea-kelp organic garden fertilizer and grape vine wreath (always check the clearance section), lots of yogurt, lots of flour,sugar & butter, lots of salsa and guacamole, english muffins, frozen veggies, natural sausages, orange juice, and some great organic freebies (veggieburgers and waffles!) All in all, some pretty good stuff at a decent savings 66%
I obviously need to break up my pictures or move to a bigger table - lol!

On my second trip, I picked up 12 boxes of free pasta, olive oil, a turkey, ham, and a bunch of other stuff. At this store, I paid $22.44, the price before coupons was $91.29 - savings of $68.85 or 75%. Almost everything in the photo below was free after coupons except for the Ham, Pomegranate, carrots and Bread. :)

Why did I buy diapers and baby food? Short answer - because they were free. Longer answer- I give diapers as baby gifts and I use free baby food in smoothies and baked goods.

My total for both trips was $74.62, with a total savings of $171.06.

You will probably see me stock up on a bunch of frozen veggies because most fresh veggies are out of season. Luckily, the sales for frozen veggies fall in line with the season so we can stock up now. Sales are also big for baking supplies, pasta, and other holiday items.

It's because I stock up big when the sales are in full swing, that we can save so much money (and get by on $20 a week and whatever's in our garden in the summer.)

Search Swagbucks and you'll find out what's in season each month. I few things I know by heart...

November
-Potatoes
-Squash
-Turkeys, Hams, Flour/Sugar/Butter
Everyone wants your holiday shopping, so there should be a lot of great loss leaders or even freebies!

December
-Pomegranates

January
- Oranges, grapefruits, and clementines
-Nuts (on sale from Christmas - think 75% off or more - last year I bought so many nuts sale I just finished them last month and we go through a lot of nuts - especially almonds)

By the way, there are a ton of other great sales in these months as well...these are just ones I look forward to. Yay pomegranates! My daughter and I have been patiently waiting all year. ;)

If you had a great shopping story you'd like to share, link up below. *A Note - I have been having trouble with my Mr. Linkys "marrying each other" every Monday when my Link & Win post comes up. I'm checking the code diligently this week in the hope that it won't happen again this week. I apologize to anyone whose links were lost during the Monday Linky Divorce.



6 comments:

CHRISTINE said...

wow do I ever need your help, I was thinking about writing a post about how the cost of food has gone up. I cant believe you saved that much!

Angela said...

The prices of food have gone up -way up! You are right about that, but there are ways around it and I bet you could save a ton. :)

The Prudent Patron said...

You did great!

F.T.M. said...

Wow....this is AMAZING!! I need to figure out how I can be more like you. Since I quit my job to stay at home, some extra cash is always needed. I'm going to read up more on your blog about how to do it. On another note, I just LOVE your blog!! Super helpful in a variety of avenues. I've given you an award on my site and added you to my list of favorite bloggers. Keep up the awesome work. I'm not surprised you've got so many followers! Come to my site to accept your award. :-)

http://adventuresofa1sttimemommy.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

I love your blog. It's very appealing to the eye...

I'm a follower and have been for a while now. Just wanted to drop a not to say how much I enjoy your blog!

Brooklyn said...

Wow!! You did great!! Thats a ton of food!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...