Somebody Call Shopaholics Anonymous!!



Today I bought so many groceries, I had to take a picture in our dining room. And you still can't see anything.... So I went with some aerial pictures.






What's in there?
>>Over 16 POUNDS of meat! I got chicken for 25c a pound! And free-range buffalo meat for $2 a pound.
>>12 bottles of 100% Juice
>>10 packages of  Mott's natural (no sugar) applesauce
>>72 oz of light string cheese
>>2 Gallons of Milk
>>4 Packages of Thomas English Muffins (love those!)
>>8 Packages of Healthier Whole wheat or smart taste Noodles
>>11 Packages of Gold fish (for upcoming harvest party)
>>10 Packages of Dannon Yogurts (finally filling out the danonomics)
>>3 Big Jars of Emerald Nuts
>>Eggs, produce (5 lbs potatoes, onions, peppers, avocado, spinach, celery,grapes, prunes) chips (aagh!), tuna, pasta sauces, tortellinis, oatmeal, pancake mix and syrup, beans, garlic bread, and other misc items

And why so much shopping?
Our stores were having great sales. Plus...I recently saw a post on someone's blog showing their stockpile and it inspired me to do more shopping. Now, I've seen obscene stockpiles and those freak me out. This one was reasonable, but ample. And I decided I should rebuild some areas we've been depleting. Honestly, 16 pounds is a LOT of meat for us. It will last us a long time.

I used to buy just enough to get to the next sale, but some sales were spaced farther than I anticipated and there were times when I paid full price for things. *Gasps* I'm trying to identify my staples and have enough of all of them. Unfortunately, pancake syrup is still a part of our staples (even though its just pure artificialness.) Not pancake mix or microwave popcorn, but they was free after coupon, so.....

And how much did I spend/save?
Get ready to vomit. My original total was $238.17. I spent $119.10, and saved $119.07, so I saved almost 50%. But I still spent $119!!! I'm feeling icky, but I'm happy with most of the things we bought.

To see more about HOW I grocery shop, you can read about it on my Save Money Grocery Shopping post.


17 comments:

Marisa said...

Wow! I really have to figure out how to do that kind of shopping. I'm not very good at the whole grocery shopping bit :/

So that is just amazing to me!

Shelby said...

Wow! As much as I hate spending $119 on groceries too - every once in a great while it feels good to stock up and get some really great food at really great prices, even if that means going over budget a bit. It looks to me that you must've gotten some AWESOME deals because that is really A LOT of stuff. Congrats!

Scrapingirl said...

Those are great deals. I just wanted to tell you that I finally made your rasb/banana muffins. OH.MY.GOSH!!!! Those are so good. I ran out of spray for my muffin pan, so I can't make anymore. If it stops raining, I'm gonna get more and make three more batches.

Sophia's Mom said...

WOW!I have never bought that much food at a given time. However, everytime i go to the store, I end up spending about the same amount of $$ as you did but I get like 30% of the items you got!

I am amazed at how you did it and I am definitely going to check out HOW you grocery shop :)

Faerie Mom said...

Ho win the WORLD did you get chicken for 25 cents a pound??? And what type of chicken? Breasts, legs? Boneless, bone in?? Wow. I wish I had decent grocery store options around here....

Dee said...

You got a LOT! I do the same thing..I don't stockpile as much..but I do get 1-2 extras when they're BOGO! Now if I only remembered to use coupons too......

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I've only been spending an average of $47 a week for the past 6 weeks for our family of 6. I've honestly been expecting a big "stock-up" trip anytime now, but I checked our freezer and we still have about 8 lbs of chicken and 7 lbs. of ground beef, plus all sorts of pasta and other things for dinner makings, so we're still doing fine. Maybe I'm getting picky, but the sales just aren't calling out to me lately!

Angela said...

Faerie Mom-
You may be able to tell by some of the things I bought that I went to Super Target (my fave of all faves!)

Every Monday at our supertarget, they mark down their meats (that didn't sell over the weekend) by 50% and then they add $1.50-$3 off coupons to the meat packages. Wahoo! Those are my shopping days. :)

This time I had a mix of boneless breasts and chicken quarters. It all depends on what's left (what didn't sell).

blueviolet said...

You clearly got some great deals and I hope it lasts a long time so you don't feel so guilty!

Susan @ organicdeals said...

Where are you going to put all that LOL.

I have stuff stacked in cabinets, in closets, under the bed... it's hysterical. If there was a natural disaster, we'd be living it up for months on my stockpile.

Now I just need a cow in the backyard so I can have milk, butter, cheese and yogurt and I'd be all set :)

Midday Escapades said...

You are very good at this, Angela. I am not so much inclined. In fact, I am ashamed to say that I don't even look at the store circulars. I just buy what I need when it's my week to cook. You are an inspiration!

dealightfullyfrugal said...

Your blog has just been awarded. Stop by my blog:
http://dealightfullyfrugal.blogspot.com/2009/10/wow-two-new-blog-awards.html

Angela said...

My pantry is now nice and full. :) But I have toilet paper stuffed all over the place. I have been SOOOOOOOOOOooooooo good about not buying any lately, but I am a toilet paper buying fanatic.

If I see it on sale, I HAVE to have it! Now that's a problem!

motherof9 said...

I've had nine children plus their friends to feed, I've been shopping like that for years lol. You should have seen when they were smaller the train of kids coming out of the houes to help bring in the groceries... what a site!

Mrs. Bridget G. said...

Buffalo meat? What does THAT taste like???

Angela said...

We've never tried buffalo meat, but I think it's a more free range form of beef. At least that's what I'm thinking. At those prices, I thought it was worth a try. lol

cristiniscouponcrazy said...

i posted most of my shopping trips.. i hope thats ok.. im new tot he blogging world and hopefully some people will check them out
thanks!!
and thats a ton of food..its great to buy that much meat though because u just need to freeze it and wont have to get meat for a while:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...