So cold....So Sad...But a reason to be Glad...

The weather has been so gloomy and wet lately. It's enough to make you want to just crawl in bed, pull up the covers and sleep for months. And it's not even winter yet. On cold, dreary days I try to think about the benefits to all this cold. And here is my #1 .....

bowl of raspberries
Raspberries. Well...all berries. Berries grow so well in our frigid climate. And they're worth all the freezing cold.

I didn't think we'd ever see the day when raspberries actually made it into the house. But these were destined to be saved for winter.

raspberry freezer jam
I made some freezer jam (my first ever) and saved a bunch of berries in the freezer. A tip: Always freeze berries (or sliced bananas) in a single layer on a tray before storing. That way you get individually frozen berries, not a clump of berry mush.

frozen raspberries I had planned to pull them out as it gets colder as a reminder of what summer and fall can bring, but we just can't stop enjoying them now. lol. I'm still looking forward to all the energy and life in the spring. I'll just have to freeze a lot more next year. :)

7 comments:

A Fist Full of Dandelions said...

That is a great tip about freezing raspberries! I had never thought of that.

We have snow today! Can you believe it?

Rags&Bags said...

omg those look sooooo delish!

Laura said...

WoW ..they look awesome..im going to the farmers market tomorrow to see what I can find...

Stay warm!

Laura
mybde.blogspot.com

Lydia said...

Wow, they look delicious! And way to go on the jam...not so hard is it? And I always think it is more fun to eat stuff if you made it.

Angela said...

The jam was super easy. I bought a packet of pectin and mixed it in the berries with some sugar. Then you wait, and pop them in the fridge/freezer.

This was my first time making jam, but next time I'm going to try to make it with homemade pectin (from apples) and attempt a low-sugar version. :)

Midday Escapades said...

They look delicious!!! Good job on your first try.

Lynn

blueviolet said...

Jealous! Raspberries are my favorite fruit!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...