The Gum Stops Here

I'm an avid gum chewer...perhaps the worst. Last year, when I was a coupon maniac, I bought hundreds of packs of gum - for free. And I chewed them all.

But then it happened....I read the packaging. Of all the things I put in my mouth, gum may be one of the most foreign and chemical. So I've decided to kick the habit. I've been gum-free for weeks (lol) and will not be buying any more.

I'm trying not to be fanatic, so if someone offers me a piece, I may accept, but I won't be buying any of my own.

In addition to the artificial ingredients, did you know that gum is the #2 cause of litter. Just behind cigarette butts. Now that's gross.

Here are a few things you may not have known about gum:
-Millons of Dollars are spent cleaning up gum stuck to sidewalks, parking lots, and furniture
-Thousands of gallons of chemicals are used to clean up stuck-on gum
-Gum does not decompose for a really LONG time
-Gum has no nutritive value and can choke and/or kill small animals

If you want to chew gum, to each his own. :) But please, please, please do not throw it on the ground or stick it on something. Save the wrapper, put the gum inside it, and toss it in the trash.

13 comments:

Anne - mommyhastowork said...

I agree! That's a big pet peeve with me. Throw the gum in the trash!! LOL

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I know, so gross to have gum and cigarette butts everywhere! Find a trashcan, people! :-)

The World As I See It said...

I totally agree with you. Just throw it in the trash. There is nothing worse than having it stuck to the bottom of your shoe

Susan @ organicdeals said...

Angela, you might like the gum I chew: http://www.pbeeproducts.com/shop_propolis_chewing_gum.php

It biodegrades - sometimes in my mouth! If I chew it too long LOL.

Also, did you know they don't sell gum at Disneyland because of the reasons you wrote about. You can bring it in, but they don't sell it - interesting.

ApachesPrincess said...

Very interesting! I'm not an obsessive gum chewer, but every now and then will have a piece! That is interesting about Disneyland to selling it!

Scrapingirl said...

I'm sad to say that I never throw my gum on the ground...I swallow it!! :( Gross, I know.

5thsister said...

Glad to see you've found the right path away from all those gum smacking, environmental destroying, chewing addicted miscreants! LOL! I don't do gum. Nothing personal, it just bores me after the 1st couple of minutes when the flavor goes away.

Laura said...

I dont chew either..it hurts my jaw and its gross if you are not paying attention and chew like a cow..!!

beenomom said...

I always end up biting my tongue and then continue to biteit over and over again!! I also chew so hard and so long that I end up getting a jaw ache.

I never knew if was so unfriendly to the environment though, thanks for pointing that out!

Shelby said...

I chew come - 2 or 3 pieces a week. I'm very sorry to say that probably 1 of those pieces goes on the ground. I never knew that it was such a huge problem. I mean, I know it's on the ground all over, but I just thought that it eventually broke down and wore away or sort of "absorbed" into the pavement. Know that I know this - I will NEVER spit my gum out again. My husband swallows his - It's gross - he can eat it like candy. But I guess that's better than me spitting it on the pavement. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Shelby said...

I meant I chew gum.

blueviolet said...

I can't give up gum but I do throw it away. Hate me not.

Mass Hole Mommy said...

Wow, very good points. I am not a gumn chewer for the most part, but it really is annoying to step in it!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...