Grocery Shopping - $53 for a family of 5

If you were reading a few days ago, you know that we are once again, a family of 5. I'm also working hard on putting our family back onto the healthy track....and balancing the free "stuff" with the good "stuff."

This week, I am proud to say that I finally found a trans-fat free tortilla!! I mean no trans-fats in the ingredients, not just "per serving." I found them at Sams, but it's not all good news. They do contain aluminum baking soda. I'm still on the road to making them myself....and have done so a few times....but not with enough success to report back. *silent tears*

This week, I went to my usual grocery store and Sams Club. Hence the monster pack of chocolate chips, yeast, and honey.

At the grocery store, the only items I actually paid for were the tortilla chips. Everything else was free. There should have been 8 more packages of wholly guacamole in the picture but my cashier was sticking to the per customer limit and would not allow separate transactions.

Rather than run back in over and over again with 2 fighting preschoolers, I said "okay" and left; content with the deals I did manage to score. :) I love guacamole and it freezes well, but great deals always come around and I'll get more next time.$53.49 and was originally $85.32. I saved 75% at the grocery store using coupons, but paid regular price at Sams.

Click on this link to see more about how I shop for groceries. And feel free to enter any of myawesome giveaways going on right now.

I apologize that the Mr. Linky got garbled and had to be removed. Hopefully I will get my linky issues sorted out shortly.

15 comments:

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

This amazes me. For our family of 5 we easily spend $250 at the grocery store and I'm not even going to tell you how much we spend at Sams. Even with coupons, I've never saved more than $20. Obviously I need to tweak my shopping a bit...

Rebecca said...

I just wanted to say that the for first link I found and was so inspired...she feeds her family of 6 for $4 a week! She is awesome!

Angela said...

Girl with Flour in your hair - You'll get the hang of it. Every little bit helps, right?

Rebecca- That was a cool story.

Stacie said...

Dang you saved a lot. I have to read how you shop for groceries! I need to learn to save more money. I love shopping at Sam's!

JDaniel4's Mom said...

Wow! You did awesome! I did $53 for three people. Thirty was for reduced meat though.

amanda said...

I buy 'tortilla land' uncooked flour tortillas from Costco. The ingredients are: wheat flour, water, canola oil, salt, sugar.
no trans or saturated fat.

They cook quickly and are soooo good freshly cooked!

Tracy DeLuca said...

Have you not had good luck with the tortilla recipe I passed along? I usually have great luck with it... hopefully you find what works for you!

Holly said...

I have seriously got to figure this out. We spend so much on groceries...it is ridiculous. I am going to check out how you shop for groceries, and some of these links. Thanks!
Holly @ 504 Main

2 Toddlers and Me said...

Great job! Wow, I've always wanted to be someone who saves this much when shopping. I really need to get organized first to do so.

Mommy Kennedy said...

What a great Mr. Linky idea! Thanks so much!

blueviolet said...

You did SO well with this!

Geezees Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

very inspiring!

Shelle said...

I've had to do the same, I was getting way too much junk for free, and our health is feeling it. I found a produce store and usually spend around $60 on fruit & veggies, that lasts about 2 weeks, and I'll pick something up at the grocery store if I need it on the alternate week. I haven't tried the uncooked tortillas at Costco, TJ's are awesome though. About $2 so not exactly cheap. This week I spent $43, not bad, but that was all that was in the budget anywya. I see we have tripples next week....it's been a while.

Mrs. Lukie said...

WOW, awesome! And I thought I was doing "good" saving 27% using coupons at the store. Pshhh!! ;)

Just Playin' said...

Fantastic! I need to learn more. Whenever I try, I fail miserably with clipping coupons but I do well with store specials. Need to go read you "how tos".
I am sending the following to all blogs I follow.
To those on my Reading List:
Please do me a favor. Would you go to my blog and “follow” me again? Because I changed my URL, I have lost many of my readers. I know you can still hunt me down, but this will make it ever so much easier on you. I will once again show up on your Reader and Blog Roll. I knew this would happen but needed to change to be more representative of who I am now. I think this is the best fix. Thanks for your time. If you have another solution, let me know! Thanky!!!!!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...