Freezing Tomatoes


The picture above is a shot of my countertop this summer! We were loaded with round yummy tomatoes. But what happens when you have too many tomatoes at once?

We usually can our tomatoes, but only when we have enough at once to make it worth our while. I would be slightly annoyed if we canned them all only to have a bunch more come in from the garden a week later. Not that I mind all the tomatoes, I just don't want to wash all the jars again!



So I freeze our tomatoes. And I have been for years. All you need to do is give them a quick rinse, cut the center out, and pop them in the freezer. They will keep for a long time this way. And a bonus - when you dip them in tepid water, the skin comes right off. No need to boil water to remove their skins.

I save them like this for most of the winter (unless the canning urge hits.) When I'm making something that calls for a few tomatoes, I grab them out of the freezer, dip them in water, and throw them in the pot. They do take a few extra minutes to cook since they start out as frozen bricks of tomato! But they keep well and no flavor is lost.

I wouldn't toss them on a salad  or sandwich though...some texture may be compromised for raw eating.

5 comments:

Areeba said...

I do the same thing!!! this summer we were blessed with plenty of tomatoes and I started to freeze them. You are right, its so easy to just soak them and the skin comes right off!!

My husband had the nerve to put a frozen tomato in our salad.!! Bad idea!

Laura said...

Very Interesting..great idea..!! I just might have to try it ..i always waste tomatoes..and I hate wasting food.

Laura @ mybde.blogspot.com

blueviolet said...

I had no idea you could do that!

Lisa Anne said...

What a great idea. We are starting our garden next year because we have a lot of landscaping to do in our backyard. This is good to know because tomatoes grow like crazy out here!!

Tanya said...

I love tomatoes! Especially with salt.
This is Tee following from the MBC!
You can find me here:

http://thegrabbag-tanya.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...