Eating Right Kids - Review

Do you pack a lunch for your school children? If you do, then you know how difficult it can be to pack a healthy lunch in a little bit of time.

Safeway and Warner Bros. have teamed up to create a healthier line of convenience foods for busy parents who still want to pack healthy lunches.

I was recently sent a few samples of their Eating Right Kids line to review. My sample was an average-sized lunch for an elementary aged child. It contained:

  • 100% apple juice
  • Ready-to-eat Ravioli
  • chewy bar
  • Fruit cup

If I were packing a lunch, I could see how easy it would be to just throw one of each into the bag. Everything is shelf stable so there's no need to throw in ice or keep anything warm.

Reading through the brochure, I could see a lot of great aspects. Many of the items were HFCS-free and contained whole grains, the fruit cups were packed in extra-light syrup, and the juices were 100% juice. These are all things I look for when I'm feeding my children.

I only read about or sampled a very small portion, but the Eating Right Kids line contains over 60 items. All items in the line have been formulated to meet the most current federal and state standards.

Warner Bros has taken a few extra steps by removing the majority of foods, featuring their Looney Tunes characters, that did not meet the better-for-you standard from retail shelves.

My overall opinion:
I thought this would be a super easy way to pack school or picnic lunches. My usual conviction against processed foods still stands. I probably wouldn't buy many of these items on a regular basis, but would find it helpful to have a few in case of emergency.

I'm so happy that the Eating Right Kids brand is cleaning up the food offered to children because I could see a lot of parents using products like these, and it's so great to know there is a healthier option.

Of the products we specifically sampled, all tasted great. My only concerns were heating up the pasta in a plastic container and the size of the juice bottle. It was 10 oz. By most American standards, that's a small drink, but I do not offer my children that much juice at once. My only thought was that if lunch time was the only time the child was able to drink at school, 10 oz was probably a reasonably sized drink.

I plan to send my kids to school with reusable bottles of water.

You can find the Eating Right Kids line at more than 1700 Safeway locations throughout the US and Canada.

No compensation was given for this review. I did receive the above items mentioned and that did not bias my opinion in any way.


2 comments:

Missy said...

Thanks for the review!
I pack my daughter a lunch once a week and like you, it is sometimes nice to have ready-made things to throw in there once in a while.

I will have to keep an eye out for these.

Amy said...

I like that you say that your usual conviction against processed foods still stands. Like you, I think pre-packaged things are great every now and then, but not as a reliable rule of thumb. For some ideas, and to add your own, check out my lunch website. Everything on the site has nutrition information and a picture, and we have calendars to help plan your weekly meals and more. http://www.lunchtaker.com Have fun with lunch! :) Amy

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...