How to Make Bread Crumbs ~ The Easy Way

Have you ever needed bread crumbs for a recipe but didn't have any on hand? I'm guessing you can buy them at the grocery store, but when you do that, what else are you buying? Extra preservatives? Plus, I'm guessing they're pricey.

Here's a quick and easy way to make your own bread crumbs. Are you ready? Okay, grab your toaster, tip it upside down, and shake! Okay, so kidding!

There are two simple ways to do it. If you are baking the bread crumbs, just throw a few chunks of bread into a grinder, food processor, or blender. I like to use the ends, since they usually get left in the bag until all other pieces are gone. You can mix in any spices or seasonings you'd like. You can toast these in the oven or in a saute pan if necessary. I don't toast mine because they are usually getting baked already and the toast up while cooking.

I prefer to make my bread crumbs this way. I've been experimenting with using bread crumbs (plus garlic, thyme and olive oil) in place of cheese in some recipes. So far so good. I also make my bread crumbs this way when I make salmon cakes.

The second way, also easy, is to leave a piece of bread or two on the counter for a few hours or up to a day. It will dry out and you can easily crumble it into toasty crumbs. Again, feel free to season at you'd like. You can put the dry bread into a bag and hit it with a rolling pin (or other blunt object) or you can crumble it in your hands.

So there you have it. Two simple ways to make easy, inexpensive bread crumbs. I hope you never have to run to the store to find them!

5 comments:

A Fist Full of Dandelions said...

Great tip. I usually buy mine, but then I never use them all at once, so the leftovers get stale (and end up in the trash).

Danielle said...

I also freeze my ends and any bread that is not as fresh as I like and then put them in the food processor when I need bread crumbs. When I am feeling really ambitious, I will just make crumbs to have on hand. I then store them in a resealable freezer bag in the freezer to keep them "fresher". I do not pre-season them though because I am never sure what I will end up using them for. I just add extra seasonings to my recipes instead.

ldsmom2201 at yahoo dot com
The Happy Wife
Homeschool Unit Studies

Anne - mommyhastowork said...

I've been wanting to try this - thanks for the post!

maroon skye said...

my mom used to lay out old stale bread in baking pans and keep them in the oven a few days to dry then, use a grater...ouch! i like the food processor idea better.

Lucy :)

Lisa said...

Great tips! Thanks for sharing.

Lisa @ All That and a Box of Rocks

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...