Eating Pea Shoots


We have a chipmunk that's been reeking havoc on our garden. One day I went out to find 2 pea shoots bitten off near the roots. Come on! So...what would any self respecting gardener do? I ate them!

I felt like such a cannibal. I've never eaten the plants out of my garden. The fruits and veggies, yes. The plants, never!

And guess what? They tasted like pea pods. I have a couple of late bloomers in the garden and if they don't start making peas, I may take them in to add to my salad.

I've since checked online and realized that eating pea shoots is a completely normal thing to do, so I feel a little less cannibalistic now. A little. Now, how to explain eating an old blueberry I found on the ground 2 months after they ripened....

4 comments:

JosiahsMommy said...

Really?? How interesting. I've never eaten pea shoots before either. Now I know!

jennifer_f said...

Pea shoots are great! I made some yummy little sandwiches with them just yesterday.

Slices of baguette spread with a horseradish sauce (2/3Cup of sour cream, 1/4Cup dijon, 2Tbsp prepared horseradish & 1Tbsp fresh tarragon)topped with grilled thinly sliced beef (I used filet) and pea shoots.

Angela said...

I like the horseradish idea. I ate it once (with sushi) and holy barbarian it was internse. I'd like to try it again, and what better way than with pea shoots. Thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

Angela I have heard that putting human hair in your garden will help keep critters away from your plants..and it is not harmful :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...