Atkins Day Break, Advantage, and Endulge Bars - Review



I was fortunate enough to receive this fantastic package full of Atkin's Day Break, Advantage, and Endulge Bars. I have to be honest with you when I say I have never been on a diet, and I have, consequently, never tried the Atkin's Diet.

But when they offered to send me these bars to review, I thought it was worth looking into. I was excited to open the box because to me, it looked like an endless feast of chocolate candy bars. And I love everything chocolate.

I took a second to review the packages and came to a sad realization. All but one of the bars had at least 6g of saturated fat. I live a very low saturated fat lifestyle (for medical issues,) and so I couldn't risk it. My husband, however, happily scooped up the box of bars and agreed to eat and review them for me. Way to take one for the team!

So back to the one bar that had less than 6 g of saturated fat. I personally ate the Peanut Butter Granola bar. It had only 1 g of saturated fat and tasted great. It reminded me of peanut butter Halloween candy.

How did I fit it into my day? Well, I treated it like a snack. I brought it along as my daughter and I ran errands and she and I split it.

This is where my husband and I disagreed. He felt they should be used as meal replacements, and that's how he used them. He's busy at work and often doesn't eat lunch (or breakfast....don't get me started!) So he thought he could make time to eat some chocolaty goodness and call it a meal.

And call it a meal, he did. He enjoyed every one of the Atkins bars, with the Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat bar being his absolute fave. And unfortunately, that is about as much detail as I got out of him. He thought they tasted great. He skipped breakfast and ate a bar sometime around the time a normal person eats lunch. And somehow made it until dinner without eating the rest of the day.

I don't agree with his style of eating, but if something like this gives him some nutrition and keeps him from running to fast food, then I'd say it's a hit.

And there's something you should know about these bars. I'm an avid nutrition label reader stalker, and I didn't see anything that would spark major red flags.

In fact, if you were going to choose between this and maybe a candy bar (like I would), then the Atkin's bar would win ten times over. Why? Because calorie to calorie they're similar. But the Atkin's bars are actually loaded with nutrition (not just sugar.)

Each Atkins bar I was sent had somewhere between 10-17grams of protein, 9-12 grams of fiber, and 20-60% RDA for calcium and other vitamins. Each bar contained multiple different vitamins and minerals. They were also low in sugar and didn't contain any trans fats. So from a nutrition standpoint, they far exceeded any chocolate candy bars.

Because of the nutritional content, they probably make a good meal replacement or extender as well. Somehow, they filled my husband up enough that he didn't feel the urge to run and eat something.

Would I buy these for my husband? Yes, and I probably will. He liked them a lot and had been asking for me to buy power bars or something similar for a long time, but until trying these and reading the labels, I resisted.

Would I buy these for myself? I have to be honest, I wouldn't. For two reasons. Number one: I don't want the extra saturated fat. Number two: For me one chocolate leads to another and so on and so on. If I start eating (or stocking the pantry with) chocolate goodies, I will eat them and eat them all!

Thank you Atkins for sending us these bars. It was an eye opening experience for me. My husband absolutely loved them and I'm sure there will be more in our home soon. Just be sure and advertise your sales because that's how I make my lists. ;)

No compensation was received for this review. All views and opinions are my own

1 comments:

ApachesPrincess said...

Those look delicious! Thanks for the great review!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...