I ate 48oz of Hummus in One day!

Can there be such a thing as too much hummus? I didn't think so, but now I'm not so sure. Every time I buy a 16 oz jar of hummus, it's gone in 2 days. I love it! So I decided to make my own.

I bought the ingredients (you can see some of them here) and grossly underestimated how much they would make. The ingredients cost me $9. I thought I'd get 32 oz of hummus. I only used half my ingredients and I made 48 oz. And I ate it ALL. Okay my daughter ate some, but she's a bird, so I ate probably 47.9 oz.

I'm still waiting to saving up swagbucks for a food processor, but because I bought tahini instead of sesame seeds, I could use the blender! Yay! My blender...not so yay! It smoked and roared, and well...it's almost ready to retire.

Aside from the blender mishaps, hummus is actually super easy to make. All you need are chickpeas, garlic, tahini (or sesame seeds), lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, and water. You can buy the chickpeas in a can, or you can go the route I did and soak your own. You get more bean for your buck this way....plus you know what's in them. The math is fuzzy though. A 16oz bag of chickpeas does not equal a 15-16oz can of chickpeas. There is a lot of expansion folks! That's how my math ended up so fuzzy.

If you want to buy dried chickpeas and soak them yourself. It's really not that hard, but it does take patience. You need to let them soak overnight. I wanted my hummus as soon as I unloaded the groceries, so for me....I might try canned next time. Well...not next time, since I still have 1/2 a bag left.

Here's a quick recipe:
  • 2 cups cooked chick peas
  • 3 Tbsp. tahini (ground sesame seeds)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 clove garlic, halved
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3-4 Tbsp water (to achieve desired consistency)
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar
Blend it all up until it's nice and smooth. If you cooked your own chickpeas, then a quick warning: warm hummus is a little yucky. Toss it in the fridge for awhile before eating. More waiting? I know, I know! But you'll be glad you did!

Play around with the amount of salt, garlic, lemon, and other spices you use until you get the flavor you like best. I added a bit of paprika, and a little cumin to mine.


7 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I make my own hummus too, also in a blender, and it doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. I only use chickpeas, salt, cumin, and olive oil. Here's my recipe:
http://momforhim.blogspot.com/2008/10/hummus.html

What does the tahini add? Flavor? I've never bought it before, and I know it's expensive...since I can already make hummus that tastes just fine, do I really need it?

shelly said...

If you want to have the chickpeas ready to go. You can soak and cook them ahead, then freeze them in 2 cup packages in the freezer. Then just thaw and make up a batch. I do this will all my beans, black, pinto, navy, and kidney. I make a crockpot full of them. Cool them and package for the freezer. This way I know what is in them and they are easy to defrost in the microwave if I forget to thaw them. Also a lot less expensive and less sodium than the canned beans.

Angela said...

Jessica,
The tahini adds a lot! Flavor, smoothness, healthy stuff! It's ground up sesame seeds and it's loaded with protein and unsaturated fat. Plus it's good. :)

Angela said...

Shelly,
Thanks for the awesome time saving tip! That is great to know for all beans. I'm going to give it a try!

GreedyGirl said...

This great I love hummus, I tried to make it once years ago before it became popular I remember how hard it was to find Tahini.

I have to try it again someday soon, thanks for the recipe

jengd said...

Mine's sort of a recipe/non-recipe Hummus. I use 2 cans of chickpeas, 3 garlic cloves, 2T tahini, a splash of lemon juice, a pinch or three of salt and enough water to get it to the right consistency, starting with about 3T. Then you just add more lemon juice and/or garlic and/or salt to get the flavor where you want it.

Amanda said...

Too funny! I have been eating hummus for a week straight and just wrote about it on my blog.

Like your blog! Found you over at MBC...

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...