Free Fitness Routine ~ Do it at home to get in shape!


Have you ever used this excuse? "I can't get in shape because I don't have access to a gym!" I'm here to tell you that you CAN get fit without a gym. Let me count the ways....unlimited!

Today I'm going to give a glimpse of a workout plan that you can do anywhere at anytime. Um...well, almost anytime. If you travel, you can do this in your hotel room. If you are a stay at home mom, do it with your kids right next to you! You could do it in the house or outside or in a box or with a fox.... Sorry about that!

I'm talking about bodyweight exercises. What is that? Bodyweight exercises are strength training moves that use only your own body for resistance. They require little to no equipment and will provide you with a challenging workout that builds strong, sleek muscles...not big, bulky ones. Can I get an AMEN?

How do you work out using just your own bodyweight? Oh so many ways, my friends!! Here is a short list of so many wonderful free exercises available to each and everyone of us at ALL times of the day:

Jumping Jacks
Box jumps
Squats
Lunges
Push ups
Planks
Spiderman Crawls
Dips
Running
Walking
Skipping
Stairs

And many versions of all of the above! Please do NOT let lack of a gym membership or even lack of fitness equipment stop you from getting fit.

You may do any and all of these on any day of the week. If you are just starting out, you may only be able to do a few. But if you are ready to build a routine and actually start "working out," then let me introduce you to my workout routine.

2-3 days a week, I do strength training. I use bodyweight exercises for 90% of all my strength training. And the following video shows you the way to maximize your efforts.





What you just saw was a routine utilizing bodyweight exercises in a circuit sequence (also known as turbulence training.) You do not rest between reps (or very little....just enough time to break up a fight). This entire workout should take you less than 20 minutes (ideally 9 minutes).

Who doesn't have time for a 9 minute workout that requires no equipment? Oh and...you only do this 2-3 times a week. You won't be able to do it more often. :)

I'm sure you thought the video looked simple and probably wouldn't cut it as a real workout. But did you try it? Obviously, he doesn't complete the full set of exercises for you, but I guarantee if you write down the exercises he recommends and complete the routine... all the exercises, no breaks between reps, and a short break between the 3 sets, you will be toast!


Never mind, I typed it out for you.

1) 60 Jumping Jacks
2) Spiderman Pushups 10-15
3) Walking Lunges 10-15 for each leg
4) Spiderman Climbs 20 total
5) Squat Hold on Wall 45 seconds
6) Plank Hold for 60 seconds
7) Burpees
8) Running High Knees in Place 25 per side

Rest One Minute and then do it 2 more times

Optional: If you are not totally blasted after this, then add in 15 minutes of intense cardio on a treadmill or other piece of cardio equipment.

Do not wear sweatpants EVER when you complete this workout! Even in a cute little outfit, you will be pouring with sweat. You should have a tough time breathing and the next day, you should ache all over. After a few times, you won't ache anymore, but you'll be able to do so much more!

A word to any newbie exercisers: take it easy. If you can't do a full pushup, do a girly one. The point of all this is to get moving. You'll eventually be able to do all the moves.

This first video is the beginner video. The easy one. In order to do any of the others, you need to "graduate" from this video. You need to be able to complete all the exercises, all the reps, all the sets in 9 minutes.

Holy Sweat! 9 minutes! It can be done, but just not by me. I considered myself graduated at 12 minutes and I happily perform his 200 and 300 videos as well. You can find them on youtube (type in Craig Ballantyne or turbulence training.)

I actually mix up my own workouts too. I just need the variety. Why can't I get to 9 minutes? I think it's because of my mini-distractions. Just today, I was kicked in the face with a rollerskate while doing the spiderman climb. And I need to break up fights randomly throughout my workout. But is 12 minutes of fitness so much for a mom to ask for?

A few notes on equipment. You will notice in some of his videos, that Craig has a strong bar he hangs from to complete bodyweight rows. Wish I had one. Bet you do too.

Since I don't, I perform plank rows instead. This does require free weights. If you have a resistance band, you could come up with an alternate rowing exercise with that. Or you could do a bent row with soup cans. It's possible to do some version of every one of these exercises.

So give this form of exercise a shot! I'd love to hear your comments if you tried the video. What kind of time did it take you? Were you sweaty and fully exhausted? Did you think strength training without weights could kick it to you like that?

And FYI, if you do strength training without rest, it IS cardio! Double bonus! I workout to improve my everyday life, I don't want working out to BE my life, so I love it when I can do 2 things at the same time (strength train and cardio, read and take a bath, vacuum and eat chocolate...hey wait a minute.)

Don't be afraid to strength train! You will NOT get big and bulky (especially with no weights.) But you will get stronger. You will most likely get more energy and you'll feel better too. Past

30, we lose 1 lb of muscle and 1% of our bone density every year. Total barf! You CAN slow down the loss and up your metabolism by weight bearing exercise. And this is a great way to go about it! Good luck to you!

3 comments:

Rose said...

That looks simple enough

StayingYoung said...

Hi Angela, I completely agree with your blog that you can workout and get in shape without a gym. After all, it's what they used to do! I'm trying a combination of Wii's Gold's Gym workout and the Quick Weight Loss Center's home program which I'm keeping an online journal but only on day 2! Thanks for entering my giveaway! Judy @ www.youthfultips.blogspot.com

Danielle said...

Thanks for the informative post. I linked to it today on my blog:
http://juanshappywife.blogspot.com/2009/08/this-week-thursday_27.html

ldsmom2201 at yahoo dot com
The Happy Wife
Homeschool Unit Studies

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...