Running Fast is Easier than Running Slow!

I'm about to say something that sounds entirely crazy, but it's true. Here goes: running fast is easier than running slow! It really is. If you're a newbie runner, here's an easy way to test the theory.

Start walking at 4 mph. Then speed it up...and up....and up... By the time you get to 5mph, you'll find it's easier to jog than walk. If you can go faster get up into the 6mph range. If it's tough for you (but you are fit enough to try this), pump the pace up to 6.5mph. I bet you it will be easier to run at 6.5 than 6. And believe it or not, 7.5-8mph is even easier.

Let me clarify really quick. It's easier for your legs. You will find that your legs want to run fast. It may not be easier on your heart and lungs, but if you try to run at these faster speeds for just 30 seconds to a minute each time, you will find that it's easier for your whole body (legs, lungs, heart) to run at these faster speeds.

Just take it slow and work your way up. And (quick disclaimer) this is just from my anecdotal experience. You need to gauge what your body can do and consult with a doctor to be sure if it's safe for you to exercise. Remember, there is no shame in walking!

2 comments:

Steph @ AnnoyinglyDomestic said...

It's nice to see that someone else realizes this, too! It feels better to run and stretch my legs more at 7 mph than to contain myself and jog at 4-5 mph. Much to my surprise, my endurance kicked up, too, because it felt easier.

I run on a treadmill because it's too stinkin' hot here in Texas to run outside. My favorite way to run is now in my bare feet. I find that helps my endurance, as well as reducing shin strain (and I have great running shoes that were fitted properly!).

Angela said...

Steph,
That's awesome! I've never ran barefoot. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking faster is easier! Angela

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...