Look what my 4 year old can read

Take a look at what my 4 year old read today. I'm so proud of how well he's taken to our reading lessons. Sometimes it's tough to keep him focused, but he's been making great strides. He's doing so well in part because of our previous work with phonics, but also because of this great book, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.


My sister-in-law recommended this book and it has been a tremendous help in teaching my children to read. My daughter is only 3 so she's only made it through the first few lessons, but my son is half-way through the book and is independently seeking out books and words to read.

The book guides you through each lesson and even scripts the adult portions so you know exactly what to say and how to explain the lesson.

A quick tip** If you have a child that is reluctant to learn with you (like my son), then I recommend having someone else be the teacher. And by someone else, I mean a stuffed animal or a toy. It's amazing how much better they listen and even "show off" for their favorite bear or monkey.

1 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Cute tip about the stuffed animal being the teacher!

After 100 Easy Lessons, I recommend moving to Bob Books and using Starfall.com, which flow easily after building that foundation. My 5 1/2 yr old is an excellent reader, and my 4 year old read the whole "Green Eggs and Ham" book last night to Auntie Jan! It's been interesting, though that even though I used the same basic methods with both girls, I could tell they learned differently based on their styles. H is more auditory and sounds out a lot and remembers the phonics rules. G is more visual, and after telling her a word, she basically memorizes it.

Go here for links and more info about each resource:
http://momforhim.blogspot.com/2008/07/teach-your-child-to-read.html

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...