How often to people recycle? Check out this chart!

We recycle like crazy. I reuse, donate, compost, or recycle anything we possibly can. We even had to ask the city for two of the extra large bins, and I still call my neighbors to see if I can add to theirs! So imagine my thoughts when I saw this chart!

I came across these poll results while perusing the Mysurvey site. Apparently, they asked people to state how often they recycle. 59% of people Never or Rarely recycled! The thought of it makes me sick. How wasteful are we in this society? I thought the economic crisis was encouraging people to consume and waste less! Was it worse before?

I've personally driven to the nearest landfill. I've shown my children the endless mountains of trash. I want them to know that every time we buy something we don't need or just toss something in the garbage, that is where it goes....and stays. The mountains of trash are monstrous and looming.

For all you homeschooling moms (or wacky Earth ladies like myself) it makes a good field trip. One word of caution...If your children are collectors...it can incite some excitement. My son loves bottlecaps and packing supplies...I'm starting to cry...and he wanted to get out and hunt for "interesting things". He's asked to go back, repeatedly. And it just so happens we pass this landfill every time we visit my sister! Oh man...what did I start?

1 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Wow, that is just so sad and makes me sick to my stomach! We recycle all the time...it's a part of life and feels like it always has been! I reuse stuff like crazy--for example paper has always been used on BOTH sides before being recycled, not thrown away.

I thought the majority of people would at the very least be recycling their cans and newspapers. Seriously, it doesn't take any extra time if you keep a container in your kitchen next to your trash like we do.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...