Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup


Nothing beats chicken soup on a cold or rainy day. It it just tastes so good if you are feeling a little sick. Since we've been trying to limit our processed food intake, I've been trying hard to make a many of our usuals and favorites.

We made the soup in this picture with this recipe using our own homemade chicken broth. The only changes I made to the recipe were to to swap olive oil for the butter, and I omit the salt. It turns out so good.

This recipe makes a lot of soup. We usually eat one meal, save enough for lunch the next day, and then freeze the rest. I can usually freeze 2-3 meals worth of soup.

Here you can see our meal, with some homemade bread. You can see my bread is short....It's a continual annoyance for me. I've been trying for almost 7 years to get a bread recipe right. That's why making bread that actually tastes good is still on my bucket list. Any good recipes out there, please leave me a comment. I'd love to try it!

4 comments:

Lydia said...

I have a bread recipe that I love. I never made bread until 1 1/2 years ago when I got brave and decided to try. My recipe is from my mother-in-law and is about 3/4 whole wheat. So far, I have had no problems with it, but I know having a Bosch mixer to make it in sure helps me out! Not sure what you use. If you care for the recipe, email me at onlyatech@yahoo.com

Lydia said...

Also, I see that you freeze different things that are liquidy in bags. Don't they leak out before they freeze? How do you get them to not leak and stay in a nice shape? Just curious. :)

Angela said...

I lay them flat on a shelf in the freezer, all by themselves. Then they freeze nicely into a flat shape. Once they are frozen, I transfer them to my deep freezer. They all stack so nicely that way. :)

I haven't had any issues with leaking. It may be the bags? I use the ziploc freezer bags. They might hold up better because they are the "freezer" type? I'm not sure.

Mom of eight said...

I liked the idea for the chicken stock. Tips on making bread:
1. use whey & substitute honey for sugar for a soft texture
2. use instant yeast, and if you are in a low altitutde, increase the amount (I'm not joking! My recipe that made up nicely in Utah was flat in TN!)
3. If you use whole wheat flour, which is heavy and doesn't rise as well, try white wheat flour or add gluten. If you can't find gluten, make it part ww/part white using bread flour, which is unbleached and has a high gluten content.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...