Homemade Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars ~ No baking

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Here is our favorite chewy granola bar recipe:

4 Tbsp Butter
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Cups oatmeal
1 Cups rice krispies cereal

Optional items:
1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup chocolate chips or 1/2 cup mini m&m's
1/4 cup pecans (or other favorite nut)
1/4 cup coconut
2 Tbsp flax (you knew it would be in there!)
2 Tbsp almond butter (in place of 2Tbsp butter)


Combine butter, sugar, and honey in a small sauce pan. Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl and mix. Heat the butter mixture until boiling. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and stir in vanilla and cinnamon. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until evenly coated. If you are using chocolate chips, add them now and stir them in. That way they won't melt. :)

Spray a bar pan and press the granola into the pan. Cool in the fridge for at about 30 minutes, then slice into bars. You an also press them into muffin pans. They make cute, individual servings this way.

In these pictures, I added the following optional ingredients: raisins, pecans, coconut, and flax.

Now...you may have guessed that I don't follow the recipe exactly. I originally modified this recipe from a bunch of recipes I found online. The above recipe is what usually turns out best. When I make this recipe, I usually cut the butter to 2Tbsp (they are moister with 4Tbps, but I personally don't miss it...the bars in the pictures are made with only 2 Tbsp butter) and I skimp on the sugar. Sometimes I cut it in half, sometimes I just don't fill the measuring cup all the way. :) I'm a lazy cook. But...just know that you can modify almost all recipes and they usually turn out just great.

If you adjust the sugar or butter and yours don't stick together, just eat it as granola. It's so good! And easy! Then up the amounts next time. :)

If you try these and come up with any other good extras or use a different grain (or cereal), let me know. I'd love to try different varieties.

12 comments:

dddiva said...

I never thought to put in Rice Krispies but these look good. I love our granola but haven't tried making bars yet, thanks for sharing.

Emelie said...

I will be trying this as well! I love to try new granola recipes

Kasey@All Things Mamma said...

Those look yummy! I'm going to try them today. Did you use reg oat or quick? I'm guessing regular. Thanks for the recipe!

Angela said...

Hi. I use regular oats. I'm sure you could use quick oats but they wouldn't have quite the same texture. I bet they'd taste good though. :)

Staci said...

I just found your blog off money saving mom. I have been looking for realistic blog like this. Thanks. Come by and check out my blog sometime. Take care, Staci
www.designingandmotherhood.blogspot.com

Breadwinner Wife said...

This looks so yum!! I especially love that there's no baking needed. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!!!

glenna said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to give it a try!

adymommy said...

These were so yummy! We added cranberries, chocolate chips, and raisins to ours. Also my 3 year old decided he wanted to make granola balls so we formed them by hand set them on a cookie sheet.
I am making a new batch today and we are actually making bars this time. Not sure of extra add ins yet.
Thanks for the great recipe!

Ann Marie said...

We eat a lot of granola bars! This sounds like a great recipe the kids can "help" mommy make!! (no hot surfaces!) Thank you for sharing!

Lauren said...

I made this recipe as posted, plus chocolate chips, cranberries, and roasted almonds. It came out REALLY sweet! Holy crumbs! I'm used to Kashi's dark chocolate cherry granola bars, and this was like a sugar punch in the face. Plus, sadly the chocolate chips did melt quite a bit, though not completely, which only added to the sweetness as there was sugary chocolate spread throughout.

I think the amount of butter and honey are good, but I'll definitely cut back on the sugar next time. Thank you for the recipe. I'm very happy to be able to make my own granola bars.

Jessica said...

Granola Getaways recipes will usually cost you less and be healthier than prepackaged granolas available from grocery and health food stores.

All Natural Granola

Anonymous said...

I just made these for our camping trip this weekend. I didn't have honey so I used syrup and I didn't have rice krispies so I used Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds and added chocolate chips. They are fantastic!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela