Homemade Baked Egg Rolls



This is one of our families favorite recipes. This recipe is a modified version of my mother-in-law's mandu recipe.
Baked Egg Rolls
2 Egg roll wrapper packets (30 total)
1 pound lean ground pork
1/3 pound lean ground turkey (or beef)
1 head green cabbage
1 head purple cabbage
1 green onion
2 carrots
3 eggs
1tsp black pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp savory
1 tsp sage
1 tsp ginger
1 crushed and minced garlic clove
1 tsp sugar


Brown the meats in a large pan, drain any fat, then add spices and seasonings. Chop up all the cabbages and onion. Peel and shred the carrots. Add all the vegetables to the pan and cook until the veggies are soft. They will reduce in size quite a bit.

Separate one egg white into a small bowl. Beat the yolk and 2 whole eggs. Move the veggies aside in the pan and scramble the eggs in the pan. Then mix the whole thing together. Fill the egg roll wrappers and fold them up. Seal the ends with the saved egg white.

Spray a baking sheet with oil spray (we used olive oil spray). Lightly coat the egg rolls with oil spray and heat at 500* for 8-10 minutes, then flip and cook for 8-10 minutes on the other side. Bake to desired crispiness.

This recipe usually makes about 25-26 egg rolls. We take the 4-5 remaining egg roll wrappers and spray them with olive oil, and sprinkle them with cinnamon/sugar and roll them up and bake for about 4 minutes. They make a fun, sweet dessert without alot of work.

7 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

I've never tried baking them as egg rolls. I have some Mahndu mix in the freezer right now to use. I'll have to try that, since frying them makes them just drip with grease. We love them, but we don't have them often because we know they are bad for us--and they give us stomachaches if we eat too many. Also, I buy coleslaw mix instead of the heads of cabbage to make things easier and faster.

Another idea is to do the "cheater mahndu", eating just the mix with tortilla chips.

Emelie said...

Those look delish! I have some wrappers in the fridge that need to be used...hm...yum!

dddiva said...

Oh these look good- well, hopefully I can figure out how to make some veg ones but the baked part- wonderful.

Angela said...

dddiva,
For veg ones, I would just omit the meat (keep the spices the same or add some of your faves), add another carrot, maybe some minced zucchini and some sprouts.

If you want some protein in there and you eat tofu, you could add that too.

Best of luck!

UnfinishedMom said...

Thank you so much for posting this. We love egg rolls, but I've never wanted to try making them because they're fried and that's just not very healthy. I'm defnitely going to try these sometime soon.

Rachel said...

OOOh! These look so yummy! I have been hungry for egg rolls all week! Wish I had the ingredients on hand, will have to bookmark this!

P.S. Have you tried them with shredded chicken instead of pork?

Angela said...

I just made them with shredded chicken the other day. I cooked the chicken, shredded it in our blender, then put it back in. They were great, but I'd recommend decreasing the spices with chicken.

I've heavily spiced them in the past to change the taste or the turkey or pork. I experiment with the spices and meats a lot. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...