Grape leaves....should I be eating them?

I've seen grape leaves for sale in the grocery store. And they are expensive. But does anyone actually eat them?

If you've been reading my blog you know that our forest is loaded with wild grapes. And a lot of grape leaves. From what I can see online, it looks like they are most often used to make stuffed grape leaves. They remind me of eggrolls, but with the leaves as the wrapper.

I'm intrigued....but I'm worried that my husband will freak out. Has anyone else made anything with grape leaves? What do they taste like?

There are no chemicals used in our forest, so I'm going to try them raw next time I'm outside. All sources online indicate that raw leaves taste salty and require blanching before cooking. I'll keep you updated.

**update** I ate one! It tasted like an ordinary leaf at first, but after a few seconds of chewing it tasted acidic or sour. I'm guessing it will need to be blanched. Next time I make eggrolls, I am going to bring one to blanch and try.

1 comments:

Manuel (mpsilandis@aol.com) said...

Grape Leaves have been used for centuries by the Greeks and middle eastern people. The Greeks call them Domathes are are stuffed with beef and rice and makes an excellent appetizer or main dish. The leaves can be frozen or dried and then boiled or blanched in boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes. They are not to be eaten raw. They are not anything near an egg roll, but I'm sure you can create a dish that may be tasty with experimentation. Wild and tender grape leaves are the best.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...