Freezing Lunch Meat?

This week I was so happy to find Hormel's Nitrate and Nitrite-free lunch meat on sale. It's usually so expensive, but today I was able to buy them for the same price (per lb) as my store's best regular deli-meat sale price. But I only bought 2 packages.

We don't eat lunch meat that often (because of the nitrate/nitrite issues) and preservative free foods only last so long. So my question...can you freeze lunch meat? And if you can, does it taste the same when it's defrosted?

When I first learned how to freeze and defrost bread, it was a huge money and time saver for our family. No more running to the store to just get a loaf of bread. And we all know how that turns out.

I'm not going to try it with our nitrate/nitrite-free lunch meat but next time regular meat is on sale, I'm going to give it a try. Unless anyone already knows the answer. If you know...please leave me a comment.

3 comments:

Lydia said...

I freeze lunch meat all the time...and my mom did it growing up. I haven't really ever noticed a problem other than maybe if anything it is a little more dry than normal.

If you try it, I'd love to hear what you think!

Rebecca said...

I too buy lunch meats on sale or bogof offers and freeze it. I don't notice any difference, and neither does my husband, who is very picky.
The only thing I do notice is that when it first thaws, there may be some standing moisture from condensation on the surface. If that bothers you, just pat it dry with a clean towel or paper towel.

Stacy said...

I've also frozen lunch meat before including the Hormel preservative-free kind you're talking about. It comes through great! Just make sure you give it time to thaw so it can defrost in the refrigerator instead of having to microwave it.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...