So, what's up with the flax?

I eat a lot of ground flaxseed. Actually, I like to eat flaxseeds whole too, but they aren't absorbed well if they aren't ground. So what's the deal? Did I just wake up one morning and say, "hmmm...I bet flax would taste good on this?" Did I try a sample at the store and become hooked? Nope and Nope.

I eat flax because it's a great (non-meat) source of omega-3 fatty acids. I'm trying to lower my body's inflammatory response (working great on a systemic level...crp less than .01) so I have upped my consumption of fish and other omega-3 sources while decreasing the amount of most other meats. Why not just pop an omega-3 pill? Well...I have those and sometimes I take them if I haven't had much fish or flax lately, but I prefer to eat things to get nutrients rather than take pills if at all possible.

So flax is super high in omega-3s and it tastes...well, let's be honest, like nothing. So it can be added to yogurt, oatmeal, baked goods, a lot of things without changing the taste.. Your kids won't even notice, or may ask for it. I prefer to grind my own with this coffee grinder I got free with swagbucks, but my neighbor gave me this giant container of ground flax for free and I'm not the kind of girl that turns down free flax. I'm more than half way done with this container though, so I'll be back to grinding my own flax again soon. In the meantime, I've been using my whole flaxseeds in bread recipes. Still not having a lot of luck in the bread department, but someday.....

2 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

So I'm wondering if there's a difference in brands of flax seeds. I got Nature's Bounty from CVS, cold-milled organic flax seeds. When I put them in bread, if I put in too much it starts to smell and taste a little fishy. Of course we don't eat fish at our house, so we may be more sensitive to the taste... Anyway, I try to sneak them into pancakes and bread, but that's mostly been the extent of it.

angela said...

Here's my opinion...flax is really oily and gets rancid easily. It doesn't hold up well to extended heat/cooking. I sometimes put it in muffins or pancakes, but they cook quickly. I have never used ground flax in bread since all my bread recipes are so hot for 30-40 minutes. I use only whole flaxseeds in that case. That's my guess. It might be getting rancid. :( Sorry. When I add it to oatmeal, I add it as a topping after it's been cooked. Try it in yogurt, you'll probably never notice it that way. It should never taste/smell like fish.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...