Frog Sighting

In the summer, our yard is overloaded with little frogs. I mean overloaded! They are super cute and they grow to huge by the time summer is over. They get about the size of a man's fist.

Today we saw our first one. A special thanks to my son for being willing to hold him for this shot. I love them because they eat a lot of bugs. Plus they're cute. My husband isn't a fan because it's impossible to miss them with the lawnmower. This is sad...but true. There are so many that really you would think we had a plague.

But then something happens. The snakes come out. We find snakes all summer long too, and boy can they run!! Well...slither, but you get the idea. We haven't been able to catch one yet....for scientific purposes, of course. But last year, we saw one catch and eat a frog right in front of us. We had a playdate over at the time and all of the kids watched with their eyes wide and mouths open. I didn't know what to do. Do I save the frog? Or do I just let nature play out before our very eyes? We watched in awe. We've seen these very frogs, eat dragonflies in our yard. And we've seen the dragonflies eat gnats and mosquitoes right out of the air. It's such a dance, it's violent and amazing at the same time. Last year, we watched a wasp devour a caterpillar. I didn't even know they were carnivores.

I'm sure we'll have plenty of frogs again this year... and later in the summer I'll be able to catch a big one. They love to hang out on our rocks on summer evenings and sing. Such a beautful sight. And such a nice way for my kids to learn to be gentle and loving with animals. We can't have pets because of allergies, so forest creatures beware....you might get loved up a little.

1 comments:

Jessica-MomForHim said...

Cute post! Cool to have that much nature in your backyard "jungle"! Though I guess I'm glad we don't have snakes, and Ted's probably glad we don't have that many frogs due to the lawnmower.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate all your tips, advice, and well wishes!

Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...